Apple Trees - You Need 2 to Make Apples

So we were recently looking at buying a fruit tree to grow.  It's to replace the beautiful Bradford Pear that had to be removed after it split in half during the bad weather last Fall. 

I haven't gone tree shopping in some time.  I looked at apple trees but realized you have to have 2 trees to cross pollinate to get the apples to grow.  That makes sense except I really only wanted one tree.  So I chose a peach tree. 

Now the kicker to all of this is that we already have a lone apple tree.  It's grown much bigger over the years.  It does produce apples all on its own - not sure how, but it does.  They aren't ones we usually eat.  The deer usually get them. 

That's the thing about wild apples, I guess, someone else always gets to them first!

Comments

Popular Posts