When Fresh Apples are not so Fresh

I was recently treated to a catered lunch where everything was touted as fresh and fixed that day or the day before.  One of the fresh items was sliced green apples.  Now these apples were brown.  They came with a caramel dipping sauce. I suppose if I'd poured the dipping sauce over them, I woudn't have seen all the brown spots.

I tried to eat a little of them, the parts that weren't brown.  The whole time the person who brought in the catered lunch was talking about how fresh everything is that they serve.  I resisted the urge to hold up my apples and ask was that an example of fresh?

The tomatoes and lettuce weren't much better either.  I'm not sure how they came up with the idea that their food is/was so fresh.  But it sounded really good to say, we get in two food deliveries a week, we fix everything as it's ordered, even our bread is special and comes from out of state so it can be really fresh.  They also said they use no preservatives - I wondered if that meant they didn't refrigerate anything either? 

Not sure. I just know this, sliced apples are very good when they are fresh! 

Comments

Popular Posts